- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Bowl For Vets May 18 at Park Lanes in Loves Park
By Doug Halberstadt
I was literally in the middle of a column about postseason hockey when I remembered an event taking place this weekend that I wanted everyone who reads my columns to know about. The postseason hockey column will have to wait another week. This is way more important, and it’s a local story that deserves all the publicity it can get.
This Saturday night (May 18), Park Lanes in Loves Park is hosting a fund-raising event to help the Roscoe VFW Post 2955 raise money for their Veteran Relief Fund. Bowl for Vets 2013 begins at 7 p.m. For $20 per person, participants get two games of bowling, rental shoes, door prizes, an opportunity to bid on some fabulous silent auction items and an all-you-can-eat pasta bar.
The night’s not over when you’re done bowling and eating, either. The fun continues with live music supplied by the band Southern Charm. The band plays from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. There’s no additional charge to see the Southern Charm show.
Miller High Life, Jersey Mike’s Subs, WXRX and NTA 100.5 are helping to ensure it’ll be a fun night for all who attend.
I’d like to challenge all of my bowling buddies from the Tuesday Night Men’s Fellowship League at Cherry Bowl to come out and support this worthy cause. I’d also like to encourage anyone reading this to make a point of coming out this Saturday night and lending your support to our veterans.
To register for Bowl For Vets 2013, call Park Lanes at (815) 877-6051.
This is one event where I hope it’s so successful that by the time you read this, it will already be filled up, and they’ll have to open up another session. Wouldn’t that be great for all of our local veterans?
From the May 15-21, 2013, issue