- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Explore the science, technology, history and thrill of treasure hunting
Online Staff Report
The science, technology, history and thrill of treasure hunting are explored in the fantastic traveling exhibition Treasure! The Journey Has Just Begun, a joint project of Burpee Museum of Natural History and Discovery Center Museum.
The exhibit, which opens May 25 and runs through Sept. 2, features 5,000 square feet of artifacts, hands-on activities, videos, biographies and tales from around the world.
Delve into the technology employed by treasure hunters and focus on the people and personalities lured by the promise of prosperity. Be enticed by shipwreck and treasure site artifacts, and learn to use the tools you’d need to find a fortune. Dig for treasure and pan for gold. Operate a Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV) in a tank of water. Use a metal detector. Use maps, compasses and clues to locate treasure. Learn how to geocache. You can even try your hand at cracking a safe!
Treasure! can be uncovered in the Woodward Exhibit Hall. Admission is $2 for members, $4 for the public plus general museum admission of $8 per person. Parking is free.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford, while Burpee Museum is next door at 737 N. Main St., Rockford. Discovery Center is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily, with admission of $8 adults, $8 children (2-17) and free to museum members and children ages 1 and younger. Burpee is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Sunday, with admission of $8 adults, $8 children (ages 4-12) and free to museum members and children ages 3 and younger.
Posted May 22, 2013