- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Benefit for Rockford woman June 2
A benefit for Rockford resident Heidi Hasenzahl will be from noon to 5 p.m., Sunday, June 2, at Cherry Valley Fire Station No. 2, 4919 Blackhawk Road, Rockford.
Friends and family of Heidi’s are holding the benefit to offset the medical care and costs associated with her medical condition. Admission to the benefit is $5 (younger than 10 are admitted free). Food, raffles and silent auction items will be included, as well as games and entertainment by the RAMI Award-winning (Rockford Area Music Industry) band Audio Drive.
When Heidi was born, she was thought to only have one kidney. By age 12, her doctors found she did indeed have two two kidneys, but one was smaller and had been malfunctioning for years. The doctors decided to remove the small kidney, but they found quite a bit of damage had already been done.
At age 18, Heidi was diagnosed with clear cell carcinoma, which was determined to have been caused by the kidney issues. For four years, Heidi went through many long, painful surgeries, tons of chemotherapy and radiation, and although Heidi was told by several doctors at the start of this diagnosis that her prognosis was bleak, at best, she beat all odds and survived.
Fast forward 12 years, and in January 2013, after experiencing some symptoms she couldn’t explain, Heidi went back to her doctor, and he ordered further testing. After multiple tests and biopsies, Heidi has been diagnosed with two sarcoma tumors. Heidi has now started chemotherapy once again, and although she is in near constant pain and discomfort, she is fighting a strong fight.
Donations to Heidi’s cause may also be made at any PNC Bank branch to the Team Heidi Benefit. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the May 29-June 4, 2013, issue