- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Lockwood Park offers Saturday afternoon family fun
Take the family out to the country to enjoy Saturday afternoons at Rockford Park District’s Lockwood Park, 5201 Safford Road, in northwest Rockford. There’s a covered pony ring for children ages 1-7, the Children’s Farm Animal Barn with friendly farm animals, and horseback trail rides for riders age 8 and older.
To complete their visit, families can relax together on a scenic hay ride through the meadows and woods. Tickets for the pony ring and hay rides are $2 per person; trail rides are $22 per person ($24 non-resident), and Children’s Farm Animal Barn visits are free. Advance reservations recommended for trail rides.
Activity hours (weather-permitting) on Saturdays through September are: hayrides, noon-4 p.m. (hours may vary); pony ring and Children’s Farm Animal Barn, noon-5 p.m.; and trail rides, noon-4 p.m.
October activity hours on Saturdays and Sundays for Locktoberfest Weekends are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors are welcome to picnic at the park; a playground is also on site. Activities may close early if business is slow; to confirm hours, call (815) 987-8809. The park, its facilities, and programs are wheelchair accessible.
For more information, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/lockwood. For information about adapted equipment and accessibility for park visitors with disabilities, call (815) 987-8800.
From the May 29-June 4, 2013, issue