- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Artist awards scholarships to 15 students
Local and national artist Lisa Frost has awarded 15 art scholarships to area high school students. The Frost & Friends Scholarship sends these students to the Summer in the Arts, a visual art immersion camp at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. To date, Frost has provided 70 scholarships to local students.
The Summer in the Arts is a week-long camp held in July that invites serious high school artist from all over the state to participate in exciting and diverse visual art experiences. Campers live on campus, where they are engaged in a variety of in-depth studio sessions. They are provided professional guidance in preparing a professional art portfolio. Also, the students experience campus and college.
Funding for the scholarships has been made possible by public donations to the holiday gift show known as “Frost and Friends,” which will be held this year Nov. 15-16 at the Clock Tower Resort. For more information, visit www.frostandfriends.com.
The scholarship awards are open to any area high school students passionate about visual art and entering grades 9-12 who have been nominated through a letter of reference by their art teacher or guidance counselor/administrator. Each scholarship will cover the full cost of the camp, as well as the supply fee ($550 each).
The following are the 2013 students receiving the scholarship: Jefferson High School: Thomas Helser, Damien Helser, Danielle Gross, Lina Mauries, Maggie Palcan, Seth Rodriguez and Demetrius Markham. Guilford High School: Damien Domayslawski, Sharla Benson and Shannon Hallstein. Boylan High School: Ben Satterlee, Magdalena Ricotta and Marisol Paredes. East High School: Jessica Doering and Alicia Porter.
Frost lives and works in Rockford. She is the 2011 Outstanding Alumni Award winner from Northern Illinois University. Frost and Friends began as her grassroots mission to “spread cheer throughout the land” and help raise the potential and awareness for artistic futures and careers for the youth of our community. The event began in 2000.
Posted June 5, 2013