- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
First Fridays open stages begin June 7 at Oregon VFW
OREGON, Ill. — What better way to start the summer than a First Fridays open-stage music show on the first week of June? The festivities will begin at 7 p.m., June 7, at the Oregon VFW, with music by Kathy Cecchetti.
Cecchetti’s 30-year career on the northern Illinois music scene is nothing short of legendary. She is featured in The Acoustic Circus, Cirque de Swing, Notorius Folk as well as a number of bookings as a solo performer. Over the years, she lists her many years with the late Janet Phillips in a popular duet known as Brophy-Murphy Productions as one of the most meaningful times of her musical career.
The First Fridays format features each musician (or band) taking 15 minutes at center stage and continuing until each group has been featured. Instruments are all acoustic, and a professional sound system is provided. When all musicians have performed, all of the groups gather in a jam session that often lasts until midnight.
Talented musicians from across northern Illinois, and often neighboring states, appear on a regular basis. The music is varied and includes country, bluegrass, blues, gospel, folk, soft rock and eclectic mixes of all of the above. Participation is encouraged, so bring your instrument and join the show, or relax and just enjoy the music.
First Fridays is a part of northern Illinois’ Friday night music scene along with Second Fridays in Lanark, Third Fridays in Franklin Grove, Fourth Fridays in Polo, and special Fifth Friday (when they occur) shows in Franklin Grove.
The Oregon VFW, 1310 W. Washington St. on Illinois Route 64 at the west edge of Oregon, Ill., features an extensive menu of quality food and beverage. Admission is by free-will donation.
Posted June 5, 2013