- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
Music in the Park concerts begin June 11 at Sinnissippi
Enjoy summer evenings at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell, 1401 N. Second St., for Rockford Park District’s free Music in the Park concerts, which run Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m., June 11-Aug. 15 (except July 4). These concerts are part of the Park District’s Free Sounds of Summer Entertainment Series featuring local and regional talents who present shows encompassing a variety of styles and genres.
This year’s Music in the Park season opens June 11 with a concert by Rockford’s musical ambassadors, the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps, 2008 world champions, performing selections from their 2013 show as well as from past years.
In addition to Music in the Park, the Park District’s free Sounds of Summer Entertainment Series offers a variety of free performances throughout the summer, including the following:
• Tunes on the Terrace at Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, featuring a variety of musical performers of jazz, folk, Latin, country, and more, Wednesdays, June 5-Aug. 7, from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Live at Levings Gospel Fest Musical Concert & Talent Show, which features gospel music concerts spanning a range of styles, including Southern tradition, and modern and urban contemporary, as well as a talent contest that welcomes praise dancers, gospel rappers, spoken-word/poetry performers, singers, choirs, comedians, musicians, or other gospel-related performance talents to participate, Sundays June 9, 16 and 30; July 7 and 21; and Aug. 4 (talent show finals) from 3 to 7 p.m. at Levings Park.
• Imagination Station, which presents music, magic, comedy and drama for young audiences Wednesdays, June 12-Aug. 7 (except June 19) at 1:30 p.m. at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell.
• Domingo en El Parque (Sunday in the Park), which offers concerts featuring banda, cumbias, quebradita, mariachi and duranguense performers Sundays, June 23, July 14 and July 28 from 3 to 7 p.m. at Levings Park.
• Charlotte’s Web, a three-concert Saturday evening series June 29, July 13 and July 27 at 7 p.m. at Sinnissippi Music Shell.
Details about these programs are featured in the Park District’s free 2013 Sounds of Summer booklet, downloadable from www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/soundsofsummer. Paper copies are available at Park District facilities and Customer Service locations.
For info about accessibility, disability accommodations and assistive listening equipment, call (815) 987-8800.
For more information on Sounds of Summer, contact John Beck, events and recreation projects manager, at (815) 987-1636 or email@example.com.
From the June 5-11, 2013, issue