- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Park District offers Learn to Swim classes for children
Learn a lifetime leisure skill while having fun in the water this summer. Registration is under way for Rockford Park District Learn to Swim classes for children ages 6 months to 17 years (age as of June 1), and adults ages 18 and older. Two-week weekday sessions begin June 10, June 24, July 15 and July 29, and meet for eight 45-minute classes (30-minute classes for tots ages 5 and younger), offered Monday-Thursday mornings and afternoons at Sand Park Pool, and mornings, afternoons and evenings at Alpine Pool.
A Saturday morning session is offered for youth (only) at Alpine and Sand Park pools, and meets once a week from June 15 through Aug. 10 (no class July 6). At Harkins Aquatic Center, free group swimming lessons will be available to anyone present at Open Swim time Monday-Thursday, June 10-Aug. 8, 2-3:45 p.m.
Each child registered for Bubble Club, Tiny Tots or Learn to Swim receives five swim passes good for five free public swimming session admissions, plus one free Magic Waters day admission. (Limit one set of passes per person per summer.)
Rockford Park District also offers Junior Lifeguard basic and advanced training sessions for youth ages 10-15, beginning the same dates as Shelbert’s Swim Academy, and Competitive Swim Training weekdays June 10-July 31 for ages 11-22.
A complete schedule of aquatics lessons and programs, including fees and class descriptions, is included in the Park District’s Spring/Summer 2013 Program Guide online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/guides, and at Park District facilities and Customer Service locations (downtown Rockford or at Carlson Ice Arena, Loves Park). Fee assistance may be available to eligible residents; an installment payment plan is available. Register online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/swimming (click My RPD), by mail, fax (with credit card) or at Park District Customer Service locations.
For more information, including information about support for participants with disabilities, call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Posted June 5, 2013