- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
The grand deception
People buy the Illinois Lottery tickets in hopes of getting rich! But it’s a grand deception (fake illusion). Because the odds of winning much are stacked against them.
And it’s a no-brainer that the ticket losses aren’t going toward the Illinois School House Fund because only 2 percent of it ever reaches its true destination! So, that’s why there are too many school closings, while our state governor (Pat Quinn) squanders the other 98 percent on not truthful misappropriations.
Philip J. Wilson
From the June 5-11, 2013, issue