- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Vince’s Notes: Local singer/songwriter Kelly Steward offers truthful emotion
By Vince Chiarelli
Right here in Rockford is a singer/songwriter named Kelly Steward. I first heard of Kelly when I listened to her EP, Long Long Road. I knew this music had to be heard, and from there on, she has been a regular artist played on the local programming of Rockford College Radio.
Kelly blends her own style of country, folk and indie music. In combination with her great voice, Kelly can turn a rowdy audience into an intent listening crowd. Her poignant melodies accented with her great lyrical ability, truly make her a local songbird.
The piece of her writing that sticks out to me the most is her lyrics. Her words are truthful, and you can truly feel the emotion in her voice when she is singing.
This year, the Rockford Area Music Industry awarded her with “Song of the Year” for the song “Surface” off her latest EP, Out From Within, produced by Kelly Steward and Greg Whitson. Kelly is working on her first full-length record, yet to be titled and scheduled to be released end of summer 2013. Her EPs can be purchased or downloaded at the website www.rkindshop.goodsie.com or music is also available on iTunes.
Kelly Steward and the Restless Kind is composed of Kelly Steward (vocals/guitars), Greg Whitson (guitar), Scott Ford (bass guitar) and Jesse Carmona (drums). They are scheduled to play Culture Shock’s (2314 Charles St.) seventh anniversary at 7 p.m., Friday, June 7, and then playing later that night at Mary’s Place (602 N. Madison St.) at 10 p.m. For other dates and info, please visit www.kellysteward.com.
Please contact Vince Chiarelli if you have any original Rockford music or radio suggestions. He can be reached at email@example.com.
From the June 5-11, 2013, issue