- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
Local award-winning director to release documentary exploring murder case
Editor’s note: View a trailer of this documentary at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBHGEk3QgoA.
Online Staff Report
Rockford filmmaker Stuart Wahlin will be premiering a new documentary about a series of 100-year-old unsolved murders.
The Ax Man Enigma: The real-life inspiration behind “Slay Utterly” will debut on Facebook Monday, June 10, which marks the 101st anniversary of the unsolved Villisca (Iowa) ax murders.
“Villisca is the most well-known in this series of crimes, largely attributable to the popularity of paranormal TV shows that have featured the house where the murders occurred ,” Wahlin explained. “But what few people realize is that the Villisca crime scene was not unique.”
During a two-year period (1911-1912), a rash of eerily-similar ax murders swept across the Midwest. Leaving unique crime scene signatures in his wake, it is believed the “Ax Man” may have been responsible for at least two-dozen murders. No one was ever brought to justice.
“The documentary is really aimed at educating people about the case, while also generating interest in our upcoming feature film,” Wahlin added, noting The Ax Man Enigma’s release coincides with a Kickstarter fund-raising campaign for Slay Utterly, which is a modern crime thriller inspired by the case. That film is slated for a 2014 release.
Wahlin, a former Rockford journalist, was awarded Best Director at the Prairie State Film Festival in Chicago last year for his film, Hand of Glory.
The documentary will premiere online at https://www.facebook.com/AxManEnigma.
Posted June 7, 2013