- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Activists to convene at Wrigley Field June 11 to rally against fracking
Online Staff Report
CHICAGO — Tuesday, June 11, a coalition of grassroots organizations led by Americans Against Fracking, Food & Water Watch, Moveon.org, 350.org, Breast Cancer Action, Center for Biological Diversity, Environmental Action, Frack Action and Progressive Democrats of America will rally at the Wrigley View Rooftop to tell Democratic governors, including Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D), not to play ball with the oil and gas industry.
Quinn, and governors from around the United States, will watch a Cubs game there as part of the Democratic Governors Association Chicago Policy Conference.
The event takes place as Quinn is expected to sign into law a bill that would give the oil and gas industry the regulatory certainty it needs to pursue hydraulic fracturing (fracking) in Illinois.
It is the second in a series of events taking place across the United States this summer to urge Democratic governors such as Martin O’Malley (Md.), Mike Beebe (Ariz.) and Earl Ray Tomlin (W. Va.), all of whom are facing critical decisions regarding fracking in their states, to reject the increasingly controversial energy practice.
The rally at Wrigley Field, 1050 W. Waveland Ave., Chicago, will run from 6:05 to 7:15 p.m., Tuesday, June 11.
For more information about Americans Against Fracking, visit www.AmericansAgainstFracking.org.
Posted June 10, 2013