- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Discovery Center offers Family Friday events June-August
Online Staff Report
Discovery Center Museum will host 10 Family Friday events between June and August. Designed as educational and entertaining programs for families, Family Fridays focus on a specific subject matter and then explore that subject through various means, including activities, demonstrations, make-and-take projects and performances.
All events are sponsored, in part, by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council and are included with admission to Discovery Center.
The event schedule is as follows:
• Schmood Food: June 14, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Find mysterious qualities in foods. Create instant color changes and paint with plants. Don your chef’s hat and design a dip, then taste-test a snack you assemble yourself.
• Angry Birds: June 21, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Ready, aim, launch! Create catapults, assemble slingshots, adjust trajectories and get ready to knock things down as you get into the science behind this game.
• Dig Into Treasure: June 28, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Discover the ins and outs of searching for treasure. Use a real metal detector, set your sights on a rainbow, pan for “gold,” program a robot probe, and more.
• Kaboom!: Thursday-Friday, July 4-5, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Experiment with explosions, launch mini rockets, construct a potato popper, and more. Invent your own light-up wand, and create patriotic art while slurping on a snow cone. Science and art star in these red, white and blue days of family fun.
• How Does Your Garden Grow: July 12, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Unearth the secrets of seeds in this earthy event. Discover hidden colors, dissect a flower, tally petals, play with pill bugs and warm up to worms. Dress for mess during this day of playing in the dirt. Overalls optional.
• See a Juggler, Be a Juggler: July 19, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Watch mesmerizing juggler Jason Kollum and take a lesson from this master performer in a workshop designed with kids in mind. Keep your balance between performances with hands-on Discovery Center fun. Preregistration for shows and workshops recommended. 40-minute shows begin at: 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.; 30-minute workshops are geared for ages 3 and older; all are welcome; workshop space is limited. Workshop times: 12:40 p.m.; 1:30 p.m.; and 3:30 p.m. Call (815) 963-6769 to register.
• Swashbuckling Science: July 26, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Are you smarter than a pirate? “See” the difference an eye patch makes; design a boat to float your swag; make a compass to point the way, navigate by the stars, and craft a sailboat to catch the wind.
• Whoosh: Aug. 2, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Make your own kite to master the wind, harness air with a hovercraft, and pit your strength against air pressure. Feats like magic come easy to even novice airbenders. Masters will learn to manipulate this element to topple distant objects and send a foggy vortex flying.
• Does It Float?: Aug. 9, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Float a fish, sink a sub, and make your own toy. Investigate buoyancy and help us dunk computer monitors, bowling balls, and other oddball objects in our giant tank as we test for “float” or “sink” with host Wink Fløtersynk. Dress to get wet.
• Splish Splash Splat: Aug. 16, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Bring some fruit to fuel a giant catapult. Little squirts and big drips can splash together some dripping art. Drench your favorite family member, experiment with water balloon ballistics, and play with wet and messy stuff. Dress to get wet.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily. Call the museum at (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted June 12, 2013