- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Find Your Space: Welcome summer at Womanspace!
By Liz Kulevich
Womanspace Marketing Coordinator
It’s not yet officially summer, but we’re getting close, and there are already plenty of bursts and blooms to inspire our creative minds this month! Great for parents and kids, our two-session Glass Mosaics class starts June 15 and leaves you with a finished piece June 22. If jewelry is more your thing, create a custom pendant or ring and earrings in our Creative Adornments class June 25.
Our art and pottery sessions start up again in July. Both Clay Handbuilding with Marnie Michels and Raku Altered Forms with Dee Santorini start July 8. Beginning Wheel Thrown Pottery begins July 9. Wade in the Water, our watercolor class for all levels, begins July 2. Drawing for the Timid begins July 10. You can also Discover Oil Painting and/or Rediscover Acrylic Painting July 9.
If you’d like to get a whole lot of learning in on one day, come to our Learning From Our Mistakes Watercolor Workshop from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., June 14. At the end of this month, we invite area clay artists to bring two bisque-fired pieces to our Community Raku Firing June 29.
We’ll officially welcome summer at our June 20 Summer Solstice Celebration from 7 to 9 p.m. Join us as we gather to celebrate Midsummer’s Eve and look forward to the longest day of the year.
This month’s Supper & Film, held June 24, will feature a viewing and discussion of the Academy Award-winning film, Argo. Mah Jong also continues this month June 26.
Our foray into musical classes begins with our new Harp for Healing & Relaxation class, which starts June 13. Learn how to play and enjoy the healing effects of the harp Thursdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
We’re, of course, offering our morning Restorative Yoga and evening Vinyasa Flow Yoga every Thursday, and this month’s Women’s Wellness Hour is tonight, June 12, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Know a dad who might want to spend the morning with their little yogi for Father’s Day? Join us for Parent/Offspring Yoga from 10:30 a.m. to noon June 15.
Looking for something to entertain your tween? Drop them off at our Tween’s Art Camp from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday, June 17, through Thursday, June 20, and let them stay for our Tween Afternoon Fun Camp from 1 to 4 p.m. We’ll also have a Handbuilt Clay for Kids class that starts Thursday, June 20. We’re looking forward to a great summer, and we hope to see you there!
Womanspace is a not-for-profit founded in 1975 and located on a 7-acre campus a half-mile west of Rock Valley College at 3333 Maria Linden Drive in Rockford. Info at (815) 877-0118, email@example.com, www.facebook.com/Womanspace and www.womanspace-rockford.org.
From the June 12-18, 2013, issue