- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Literary Hook: The return of the trees and hummingbirds
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Here is a poem celebrating the return of the bees and hummingbirds this season.
Believe in the benevolence of bees
and bergamot beckoning hummingbirds.
Hail the tiny ones who sail thousands
of treacherous miles to return to us each year.
Rely on the wisdom of crows who congregate
on catalpa trees for their alarms are righteous.
Shout amen to each alleluia tree with branches
bearing fruit, turning leaves, and nests.
Give thanks to the rain and the sun that dance
in contrapuntal perfection their never ending fugue.
Bless each lady bug and firefly, for without them
summer holds less happiness to little children.
Glory be to the swallowtail and monarch
and every short but beautiful, mysterious life.
All gratitude to the gardeners, great and small,
the cultivators and creators, here and above.
Let us never forget the wind, great breath of life.
O, what benevolence bestowed each day
given to us without expectation of pay.
From the June 12-18, 2013, issue