- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Park District offers free Sounds of Summer events
Online Staff Report
Rockford Park District’s Sounds of Summer is a free concert and performance series at three locations, and is designed to meet the diverse entertainment interests of the community by providing a variety of musical genres and entertainment performances.
The series is composed of Music in the Park, Charlotte’s Web Sinnissippi Summer Series, and Imagination Station at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell; Live at Levings and Domingo en el Parque at Levings Park; and Tunes on the Terrace at Nicholas Conservatory.
Following are scheduled performances for the next two weeks:
Music in the Park, June 11-20
Enjoy summer evenings at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell for Rockford Park District’s free Music in the Park concerts, held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. through Aug. 15 (except July 4). Rain site: Guilford High School, 5620 Spring Creek Road, Rockford.
• Thursday, June 13 — Too Deep (soul and gospel influences)
• Tuesday, June 18 — A Grand Night for Broadway, performed by the Rockford Concert Band; Bill Petersen, conductor. Featuring Jim Martindale, trumpet, and vocalist Jodi Beach.
• Thursday, June 20 — Big Guitars from Memphis (rockabilly, swing and surf music)
Tunes on the Terrace June 12-19
Relax and listen to local musicians on the Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens outdoor terrace, 1354 N. Second St., Rockford. This free weekly Wednesday series presents jazz, folk, Latin, country and more from 5 until 7 p.m. through Aug. 7. Rain location: Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens Lobby.
• Wednesday, June 12 — Mary J Harris Trio
• Wednesday, June 19 — Firmish Skirmish
Imagination Station, June 12-19
This series of free music, magic, juggling, drama and comedy performances has been entertaining all ages for the past 22 seasons. Matinee performances (45 minutes) are held at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell Wednesdays, June 12-Aug. 7, at 1:30 p.m., with pre-show activities starting at 1 p.m.
• Wednesday, June 12 — Mr. Steve (rain site for this performance: Mendelssohn PAC, Mendelssohn Hall, 406 N. Main St., Rockford)
• Wednesday, June 19 — No show — enjoy the Juneteenth celebration at Sinnissippi Park
Live at Levings June 16
Free gospel fest musical concert and talent show featuring gospel music spanning the wide range of styles, including Southern tradition, modern contemporary, and urban contemporary. Held on select summer Sundays at Levings Park, 1420 S. Pierpont Ave., Rockford; talent show 3-5 p.m., concert 5-7 p.m.
• Sunday, June 16 — Too Deep
Domingo En El Parque June 23
Series of three free Sunday performances for all ages presenting the music, arts and culture of Rockford’s Latino community, featuring Mexican, Tejano and Caribbean music. Shows are from 3 to 7 p.m. at Levings Park, 1420 S. Pierpont Ave., Rockford.
• Sunday, June 23 — Mariachi Ameca
For more about Sounds of Summer, contact Park District Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Posted June 12, 2013