- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Second season under way at Windsor Lake Activity Center in Loves Park
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Windsor Lake Activity Center, 7212 N. Alpine Road, Loves Park, Ill., has opened for its second season.
Owned for the past 30 years by the Carlson family, the lake was leased to the Rockford Park District to begin operating in 2012.
“Thanks to their generosity, our community will be able to enjoy another season of great fishing and paddling opportunities,” said Jessica Steinberg, senior manager of operations at the activity center.
Windsor Lake will be open daily from sunrise to sunset. The public is welcome to enjoy catch-and-release fishing (except for pan fish), along with various paddling opportunities such as kayaking, canoeing and stand-up paddleboarding. A daily fee of $2 per hour will be charged for anyone wishing to use a muscle-powered watercraft on the lake. A reservation can be made online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/windsorlake. Fishing (Illinois fishing license required) is free.
The Rockford Park District has partnered with area fishermen, paddlers and residents of the neighborhood to create the Windsor Lake Watch Group. This group will be the “eyes and ears” of Windsor Lake to help operate and enforce rules and policies. If you are interested in volunteering for the Windsor Lake Watch Group, contact Steinberg at (815) 289-0748 or email@example.com.
Another new partnership is with Advance Medical Rehabilitation Center (AMR), 1820 Windsor Road, Loves Park, Ill., allowing the installation of a new boat launch area just north of the AMR parking lot.
Rules and policies of the lake are as follow: No motors allowed on the lake; Illinois fishing license required; free shoreline fishing from designated fishing areas only ; catch-and-release only, except for pan fish; no minnows; personal flotation devices (inner tubes, rafts) prohibited; protect this property and dispose of litter properly; be considerate of others; dogs must be on leash and land at all times; smoking and alcohol prohibited; swimming/wading prohibited; and campfires and open flames prohibited.
From the June 12-18, 2013, issue