- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Alpine Kiwanis gives scholarships to seniors
Rockford’s Alpine Kiwanis Club has awarded the following graduating local high school seniors with scholarships for college this fall: Zachary Layng, Rockford Christian; Julia Mendes, Rockton Hononegah, Miranda Paddock, Machesney Park Harlem; Clairanne Porter, Rockton Hononegah; Grace Procopio, Machesney Park Harlem; Haley Ross, Rockton Hononegah; and Stephanie Severing, Rockford Guilford.
Total awards are $15,000, with each senior receiving $1,500. Awards are to be used for tuition, books and fees at the colleges they will be attending in the fall of 2013.
The awards are given out each year by the club as part of the proceeds from their Annual Alpine Kiwanis Brat Days, held each year in July. This year, Brat Days is set for Friday-Saturday, July 19-20, at three locations: Edgebrook Center, Schnucks on East State Street and Schnucks at North Alpine and Harlem Road. Each site features live entertainment. Tickets are $5 in advance, $6 on site. Visit alpinekiwanis-il.org for more details.
From the June 19-25, 2013, issue