- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Free geocaching workshop at Discovery Center June 22
Online Staff Report
Our community is full of geocache treasure for you to discover! Get in on the basics of how to sleuth out these concealed containers and document your finds! This adult and family workshop will be from 10:30 a.m. to noon, Saturday, June 22, at Discovery Center Museum. Learn the basics from staff at the Rockford Park District. Then, go outside and use your newly honed skills to find a cache. The workshop is free.
You’ve already got what you need to get started: your smart phone, iPad or GPS-enabled device. Download the free geocaching.com introductory app before the workshop.
This workshop is part of the programming tied to the traveling exhibition, Treasure!. Treasure! explores the science, technology, history and thrill of treasure hunting. Admission to Treasure! is $4 for the public, plus museum admission of $8.
Discovery Center and Burpee Museum of Natural History have also worked with the Rockford Park District to devise a Geocaching Family Adventure this summer. Uncover the fresh-air fun of geocaching. Hidden hoards have been stashed at six locations right around town so participants can enjoy the intrigue of this modern-day treasure hunt. The locations will be available through Sept. 2. The Geocaching Family Adventure is also free.
Discovery Center Museum is a nonprofit organization providing hands-on math, science and art experiences for all ages with more than 250 hands-on exhibits. The museum is ranked the No. 4 children’s museum in the nation by Child magazine and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, The 12 Best Children’s Museums in the U.S.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. General admission to the museum is $8 adults, $8 children (ages 2-17) and free to museum members and children age 1 and younger. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily. For additional information regarding Discovery Center Museum, call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org.
Posted June 19, 2013