- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
ArtsPlace under way in downtown Rockford
Rockford Area Arts Council’s summer youth apprenticeship program, ArtsPlace, is under way in downtown Rockford.
ArtsPlace is for aspiring artists between 14 and 18 years of age who work under the direction of professional artists to create art to sell and perform for the public.
Proceeds earned from tickets and art sales are divided equally among the youth who successfully complete the program.
Since 1995, more than 1,000 youth have benefited from ArtsPlace apprenticeships, and this summer marks the 17th year of the program.
This year, the ArtsPlace dance team will be taught by the Rockford Dance Company staff and housed at Riverfront Museum Park. Visual arts and spoken-word poetry will be held at Mendelssohn Hall and includes artists Bruce McDonald, print-mixed media; Marco Basurto, sculpture; Maya Simmons, painting; and Tricia Sheridan, spoken-word poetry.
ArtsPlace meets from June 24 to Aug. 12, Monday-Thursdays from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. The public is invited to visit from 1 to 3:30 p.m. to view teams at work.
The culmination of this year’s ArtsPlace program will highlight the finished work of the students in “Emerge … Rockford is its People,” an art exhibit, sale and a collaborative performance featuring dance, theater, poetry and visual arts Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 10-11, at Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
From the June 26-July 2, 2013, issue