- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
UPDATE: Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez charged with murder, pleads not guilty
Online Staff Report
New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, 23, was charged with murder and five gun charges at an arraignment hearing in Attleboro District Court in Massachusetts Wednesday afternoon, June 26, after being arrested earlier in the morning.
Hernandez was placed in handcuffs and put in a police car shortly before 9 a.m. Eastern time. His home has been searched several times by investigators over the past week after the body of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd was found June 17 about a mile from Hernandez’s North Attleborough, Mass., home. The death was ruled a homicide.
Shortly after his arrest, the Patriots announced they would be releasing the tight end. Hernandez was drafted in 2010 and awarded a five-year, $40 million contract with a $12.5 million signing bonus just last summer. The investigation also cost Hernandez his endorsement contract with CytoSport, which makes Muscle Milk and other supplements for athletes.
The Patriots said in a statement: “A young man was murdered last week, and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”
Posted June 26, 2013