- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
A garden walk with a horticultural perspective July 18 at Anderson Gardens
Jon Carlson, owner of J. Carlson Growers, to lead garden walks
• Reservations are required by calling (815) 316-3307; admission is $5 for non-members
Thursday, July 18, Jon Carlson, owner of J. Carlson Growers, will lead a discussion and tour of Anderson Japanese Gardens highlighting some of his favorite plants. Carlson will discuss light, soil, space requirements for plants and what makes various plants unique.
Carlson is the owner of of J. Carlson Growers, Inc., in Rockford. His nursery has been providing quality landscape plants for many public and private gardens in northern Illinois for more than 30 years. J. Carlson Growers’ nursery consists of 79 acres of landscape-size trees, shrubs and perennials, and is known for their beautiful specimens of Japanese Maples, grafted conifers and majestic shade trees.
Carlson will be leading two 50-minute garden walks starting at 6 and 7 p.m., respectively, to allow more direct interaction with guests.
Reservations are required by contacting Sara Johnson at (815) 316-3307 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost is free for Anderson Japanese Gardens members and $5 for non-members.
Anderson Japanese Gardens is at 318 Spring Creek Road, Rockford.
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue