- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
Autism Awareness Event July 13 at Lou Bachrodt
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, July 13, Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall, First Northern Credit Union, The Autism Program Service Center (TAP), 95.3 BOB-FM and various local organizations are teaming up to offer the Fifth Annual Autism Awareness Event. This event is at Lou Bachrodt Auto Mall on CherryVale Boulevard.
Some facts about autism:
• Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys;
• Autism prevalence figures are growing;
• More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes and cancer combined; and
• Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
The event is designed to provide awareness about the many resources in the Rockford area for children as well as adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Parents can learn the signs of autism and find out their options after the diagnosis.
Attractions for kids will include dancing and yoga workshops, face-painting and more. At 11 a.m., there will be a special teen guest speaker, Hanah. She will share her message of finding the piece to her puzzle. Her personal story will bring awareness and give hope to individuals diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families.
Visit www.bachrodt.com for more about the July 13 event.
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue