- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Hip-hop dance workshop offered at Rockford Dance Company
Online Staff Report
Rockford Park District’s Hot Nights … Summer in the City program is sponsoring a 15-hour workshop during the week of July 13-19. Special guest artist Dome Lorusso will conduct the workshop.
Teens, 13-19, need to attend a placement audition at 10:30 a.m. at Rockford Dance Company, 711 N. Main St. Audition fee is $5. If accepted into the program, an additional $25 fee will be required. Participants may apply for a $15 scholarship. The workshop will be daily from either 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., depending on placement.
Lorusso was born in Valencia, Venezuela, and came to live in Chicago at the age of 6. However, he didn’t find his passion for dance until he was 19, when he started his dance career with One World Dance Theater under direction of Rebbecca Huntman.
Lorusso was fortunate enough to dance with One World for two years, where he trained in various styles, such as Latin, contemporary, jazz, and hip-hop. He left One World Dance Theater to direct the Jai Wil project, where he danced and choreographed for R&B artist Jai Wil’s promotional tour.
Lorusso started his own hip-hop dance company, Pure Renditionz. He has continued to work on various projects, such as becoming artistic director of Hip Hop ConnXion Chicago; manager/choreographer/dancer for Dance2XS Chicago; and later founder of Vicious dance crew as executive director.
Lorusso has also taught at several dance schools such as The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Lou Conte Dance Studio and The Alvin Ailey Dance Camp. He has danced with such artists as Fall Out Boy, Black Eyed Peas, Mannheim Steamroller, Drew Sidora and reggae sensation Ms. Triniti. Lorusso is working with the anti-bullying campaign and promoting a positive environment through dance.
For more information about the workshop, contact Rockford Dance Company at (815) 963-3341 or rockforddancecompany.com.
Posted July 10, 2013