- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Hip-hop dance workshop offered at Rockford Dance Company
Online Staff Report
Rockford Park District’s Hot Nights … Summer in the City program is sponsoring a 15-hour workshop during the week of July 13-19. Special guest artist Dome Lorusso will conduct the workshop.
Teens, 13-19, need to attend a placement audition at 10:30 a.m. at Rockford Dance Company, 711 N. Main St. Audition fee is $5. If accepted into the program, an additional $25 fee will be required. Participants may apply for a $15 scholarship. The workshop will be daily from either 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., depending on placement.
Lorusso was born in Valencia, Venezuela, and came to live in Chicago at the age of 6. However, he didn’t find his passion for dance until he was 19, when he started his dance career with One World Dance Theater under direction of Rebbecca Huntman.
Lorusso was fortunate enough to dance with One World for two years, where he trained in various styles, such as Latin, contemporary, jazz, and hip-hop. He left One World Dance Theater to direct the Jai Wil project, where he danced and choreographed for R&B artist Jai Wil’s promotional tour.
Lorusso started his own hip-hop dance company, Pure Renditionz. He has continued to work on various projects, such as becoming artistic director of Hip Hop ConnXion Chicago; manager/choreographer/dancer for Dance2XS Chicago; and later founder of Vicious dance crew as executive director.
Lorusso has also taught at several dance schools such as The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Lou Conte Dance Studio and The Alvin Ailey Dance Camp. He has danced with such artists as Fall Out Boy, Black Eyed Peas, Mannheim Steamroller, Drew Sidora and reggae sensation Ms. Triniti. Lorusso is working with the anti-bullying campaign and promoting a positive environment through dance.
For more information about the workshop, contact Rockford Dance Company at (815) 963-3341 or rockforddancecompany.com.
Posted July 10, 2013