- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Local athletes prepare for state all-star football game
• North Boone’s Austin Baden, Belvidere’s Kane Steger both selected for July 13 game
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
Two of the top prep stars in football from the last several seasons are getting ready to ply their trade one last time as a high school student.
North Boone High School’s Austin Baden and Belvidere High School’s Kane Steger have both been named to the West roster for the 2013 Illinois High School Shrine All-Star football game.
Baden has long been a star at North Boone, arguably the best quarterback in the stateline area over the last few seasons. He was able to lead the Vikings to a Big Northern East Conference championship and a playoff appearance as a senior.
From the quarterback position, Baden accounted for more than 3,000 yards of offense and 31 touchdowns his senior season.
He has signed with the University of Dubuque to play football next season.
Steger has been a stand-out at wide receiver and defensive back, helping lead the Bucs to a playoff appearance during his time there. He also holds most of the receiving records at Belvidere.
Steger was also a star baskteball player at Belvidere. He has elected to play basketball at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., marking this as his final football game.
This is the 39th annual Shrine game, which brings 80 of the state’s top players together to play football and raise funds and awareness for the Shriners Hospitals for Children.
The game will take place Saturday, July 13, at Tucci Stadium on the campus of Illinois Wesleyan University. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue