- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Praise for Mayor Morrissey for leaving anti-gun group
I want to take this opportunity and thank Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey (I) for not just attending the Rockford Tea Party’s concealed carry town hall meeting in Loves Park June 22, but for publicly stating he has left New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s anti-gun group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
While it may have taken Mayor Morrissey some time to realize that Bloomberg’s group was more interested in denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens than it was in taking weapons away from criminals and gangs, it is a good thing he has rebuked Bloomberg and his anti-gun group.
I hope that in time other Illinois politicians, namely Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) and Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D), will come to the same realization as Mayor Morrissey has and embrace not only the Second Amendment, but concealed carry as well.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue