- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Praise for Mayor Morrissey for leaving anti-gun group
I want to take this opportunity and thank Rockford Mayor Larry Morrissey (I) for not just attending the Rockford Tea Party’s concealed carry town hall meeting in Loves Park June 22, but for publicly stating he has left New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s anti-gun group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
While it may have taken Mayor Morrissey some time to realize that Bloomberg’s group was more interested in denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens than it was in taking weapons away from criminals and gangs, it is a good thing he has rebuked Bloomberg and his anti-gun group.
I hope that in time other Illinois politicians, namely Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) and Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D), will come to the same realization as Mayor Morrissey has and embrace not only the Second Amendment, but concealed carry as well.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue