- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Rockford Health System gives minority scholarships
Rockford Health System (RHS), along with Rockford Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, announced the recipients of the 2013 Minority Scholarship Awards. Six minority nursing students received $2,000 each toward their 2013-2014 educational expenses. RHS awarded four scholarships to the following African-American nursing students:
• Laquisha Thompson, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Saint Anthony College of Nursing. Thompson has been an RHS employee since 2011.
• Briana Watkins, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Rockford College.
• Amber Coffey, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Rockford College. Coffey is a previous 2010 scholarship recipient.
• Erica White, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Olivette Nasareen. White has been an RHS employee since 2010 and a previous 2011 and 2012 scholarship recipient.
Rockford Memorial Auxiliary awarded two scholarships to the following Spanish-speaking Hispanic students:
• Evelia Flores, of Rockford, is pursuing an associate’s degree in nursing from Rock Valley College.
• Enedelia Manriquez Mandujano, of Rockford, is pursuing an associate’s degree in nursing from Rock Valley College. Mandujano has been an RHS employee since 2012 and a previous 2012 scholarship recipient.
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue