- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Rockford Health System gives minority scholarships
Rockford Health System (RHS), along with Rockford Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, announced the recipients of the 2013 Minority Scholarship Awards. Six minority nursing students received $2,000 each toward their 2013-2014 educational expenses. RHS awarded four scholarships to the following African-American nursing students:
• Laquisha Thompson, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Saint Anthony College of Nursing. Thompson has been an RHS employee since 2011.
• Briana Watkins, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Rockford College.
• Amber Coffey, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Rockford College. Coffey is a previous 2010 scholarship recipient.
• Erica White, of Rockford, is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Olivette Nasareen. White has been an RHS employee since 2010 and a previous 2011 and 2012 scholarship recipient.
Rockford Memorial Auxiliary awarded two scholarships to the following Spanish-speaking Hispanic students:
• Evelia Flores, of Rockford, is pursuing an associate’s degree in nursing from Rock Valley College.
• Enedelia Manriquez Mandujano, of Rockford, is pursuing an associate’s degree in nursing from Rock Valley College. Mandujano has been an RHS employee since 2012 and a previous 2012 scholarship recipient.
From the July 10-16, 2013, issue