- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Aug. 1 Bad Pants Golf Scramble to benefit RAMP
By Doug Halberstadt
Each and every summer, I get besieged with invitations to either play in or write about various golf play days. There are literally dozens of them during the golfing season. They have become so popular that I’m fairly certain that if I had the time and the money, I could participate in one at least a couple of times a week.
They benefit everything from political candidates to every disease and malady known to the medical world. Then, there are the ones that don’t even fall into the category of fund-raisers. Most of those are just an excuse to go out with some buddies, play golf, and over-indulge on adult beverages and manly-man food, usually steak, ribs, chops and/or all of the above.
For the people who organize these events, it must be a real challenge to try to come up with something new and creative. It seems there needs to be a catch or something unique that will make your play day stand out among all of the others.
I always thought the best one in this category was The Polar Bear tournament that I used to play in a few years ago. It was held in the middle of winter. It was a great idea for originality, but not overly pleasant to play in. I distinctly remember how bitterly cold it was a couple of times.
I received a press release this week announcing RAMP’s Fourth Annual Bad Pants 9-Hole Golf Scramble. This year’s event takes place Thursday, Aug. 1, at Timber Point Golf Course in Poplar Grove, Ill. I say kudos to them for attempting to put together a fun day and trying to be original at the same time.
The basic premise is to come out and play nine holes of golf while wearing the loudest, most wild-patterned, disgusting polyester, double-knit pants you can find in the back of your closet or at one of the local thrift stores. If you picture Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack, you’ll get the right idea.
They’re actually giving away prizes for the individual and team with the best (worst) pants. This makes me think of this particular pair of brown plaid pants that I wore to my high school homecoming back in 1978. I know those would definitely qualify for some type of prize.
The other thing I like about this particular event is Famous Dave’s is doing the catering. For me, golf and barbecue is a pretty darn good combination. If this sounds like it might be right up your alley as well, registration is under way.
For more about how to register as an individual or as a team, contact RAMP Development Director Amy Morris at (815) 968-7467.
From the July 17-23, 2013, issue