- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Boy Scout makes benches for senior facility
A determined Rockford native, Martin Carlson, has made and donated three benches for residents of Valley View Apartments to enjoy. Carlson is the nephew of a current resident living at the senior and affordable living apartment facility.
Carlson, 16, is working on receiving his Eagle Scout badge through the local Boy Scout chapter Troop 57. He has already accomplished the ranks of Tenderfoot, second class, first class, Star for Life while being a part of the Boy Scout association. To receive the highest rank of Eagle Scout, Carlson needed to do a volunteer project in the community.
Carlson has enjoyed visiting Valley View since the age of 3, and has spent numerous hours enjoying sitting with Jennifer and other residents on the benches out front. When trying to come up with a community volunteer project, there was nothing he thought would matter more than to make new and improved benches for everyone to enjoy. Carlson contacted local businesses, family members and friends to help with the cost of materials, and then spent numerous hours cutting, sanding, drilling and staining the benches himself.
One of the benches he made in tribute to his grandfather, who had passed away in 2010. Carlson said his drive to never give up had come from his grandfather, and he was the key to his success in the Boy Scouts.
Valley View Apartments is at 3303 E. State St., Rockford.
From the July 17-23, 2013, issue