- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Boy Scout makes benches for senior facility
A determined Rockford native, Martin Carlson, has made and donated three benches for residents of Valley View Apartments to enjoy. Carlson is the nephew of a current resident living at the senior and affordable living apartment facility.
Carlson, 16, is working on receiving his Eagle Scout badge through the local Boy Scout chapter Troop 57. He has already accomplished the ranks of Tenderfoot, second class, first class, Star for Life while being a part of the Boy Scout association. To receive the highest rank of Eagle Scout, Carlson needed to do a volunteer project in the community.
Carlson has enjoyed visiting Valley View since the age of 3, and has spent numerous hours enjoying sitting with Jennifer and other residents on the benches out front. When trying to come up with a community volunteer project, there was nothing he thought would matter more than to make new and improved benches for everyone to enjoy. Carlson contacted local businesses, family members and friends to help with the cost of materials, and then spent numerous hours cutting, sanding, drilling and staining the benches himself.
One of the benches he made in tribute to his grandfather, who had passed away in 2010. Carlson said his drive to never give up had come from his grandfather, and he was the key to his success in the Boy Scouts.
Valley View Apartments is at 3303 E. State St., Rockford.
From the July 17-23, 2013, issue