- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Pec River Foundation offers flotilla, canoe and kayak races July 20-21
Friends of the Pecatonica River Foundation has planned two events for Saturday and Sunday, July 20-21.
The first event is the Pecatonica River Trail Summer Flotilla, which will begin at 9 a.m., Saturday, July 20. Enjoy scenic serenity only northwest Illinois can deliver. Start the morning with a leisurely canoe or kayak paddle down the natural water trail of the Pecatonica River. Wildlife and the best of Mother Nature’s creative palette greet you at every twist and turn.
Experienced paddlers will be on hand to assist the less experienced. Flotilla begins at McConnell’s “Bobtown” Landing, 6371 W. McConnell Road, McConnell, Ill., and ends at McNeil’s Damascus Landing, 4998 Cedarville Road, Lena, Ill. This segment of the Pecatonica River Water Trail length is 7.9 miles. Google, “Illinois’ Friendliest Paddle” — YouTube. Estimated time for journey is 2 1/2 hours. Lunch and shuttle transportation included. A very limited number of canoes are available for rent for those who do not have their own boat. Registration for the flotilla is due by Friday, July 12. Cost is $15, or $30 if canoe rental is needed.
The second event is the Fifth Annual Pecatonica River Canoe & Kayak Races, which will be Sunday, July 21. The event is sanctioned by the Illinois Paddling Council.
Race or watch as some of the Midwest’s best paddlers race the 18.2 miles from the Highway 11 access ramp just west of Browntown, Wis., or be a part of the 6.7-mile race from Brewster’s Landing just east of Winslow, Ill. Registration opens at 8 a.m., with both races starting at 10 a.m. All races end at McConnell’s “Bobtown” Landing, 6371 W. McConnell Road, McConnell, Ill.
For more information or to register for either event, contact Friends of the Pecatonica River Foundation, 1550 Woodside Drive, Freeport, IL 61032, c/o Lee Butler, at (815) 232-5340 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.pecriver.org.
From the July 17-23, 2013, issue