- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
Blackhawk Courts farm stand opens at 15th Avenue, Meadow Court
Online Staff Report
Access to fresh and healthy produce was limited near Blackhawk Courts, a Rockford Housing Authority (RHA) complex off 15th Avenue in Rockford. Community residents responded to the need and formed a community farm and garden, with the help of Angelic Organics Learning Center and support from the RHA. The garden, which brings together volunteers of all ages, has been a transformational force in the community.
The produce from the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden (BCFG) feeds residents of Blackhawk Courts who have limited access to nutritious, high-quality food at no cost.
The vegetables and fruit the community grows will also be sold at the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden Farm Stand on 15th Avenue and Meadow Court, which will eventually accept all forms of currency, including WIC/SNAP payments.
Additionally, the BCFG will supply Angelic Organics Learning Center’s Roots & Wings Youth Leader’s 10-week Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, a produce subscription service open to the Rockford public. Surplus produce will be donated to a local food pantry.
These types of urban agricultural initiatives not only offer much-needed fresh food to the community, but also serve to reconnect people to each other and the land and revitalize neighborhoods.
For more about the farm stand and Youth Leader’s CSA, contact Market Manager Tedd Snowden at (815) 963-2131 or email@example.com.
Posted July 24, 2013