- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Blackhawk Courts farm stand opens at 15th Avenue, Meadow Court
Online Staff Report
Access to fresh and healthy produce was limited near Blackhawk Courts, a Rockford Housing Authority (RHA) complex off 15th Avenue in Rockford. Community residents responded to the need and formed a community farm and garden, with the help of Angelic Organics Learning Center and support from the RHA. The garden, which brings together volunteers of all ages, has been a transformational force in the community.
The produce from the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden (BCFG) feeds residents of Blackhawk Courts who have limited access to nutritious, high-quality food at no cost.
The vegetables and fruit the community grows will also be sold at the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden Farm Stand on 15th Avenue and Meadow Court, which will eventually accept all forms of currency, including WIC/SNAP payments.
Additionally, the BCFG will supply Angelic Organics Learning Center’s Roots & Wings Youth Leader’s 10-week Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, a produce subscription service open to the Rockford public. Surplus produce will be donated to a local food pantry.
These types of urban agricultural initiatives not only offer much-needed fresh food to the community, but also serve to reconnect people to each other and the land and revitalize neighborhoods.
For more about the farm stand and Youth Leader’s CSA, contact Market Manager Tedd Snowden at (815) 963-2131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 24, 2013