- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Blackhawk Courts farm stand opens at 15th Avenue, Meadow Court
Online Staff Report
Access to fresh and healthy produce was limited near Blackhawk Courts, a Rockford Housing Authority (RHA) complex off 15th Avenue in Rockford. Community residents responded to the need and formed a community farm and garden, with the help of Angelic Organics Learning Center and support from the RHA. The garden, which brings together volunteers of all ages, has been a transformational force in the community.
The produce from the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden (BCFG) feeds residents of Blackhawk Courts who have limited access to nutritious, high-quality food at no cost.
The vegetables and fruit the community grows will also be sold at the Blackhawk Courts Farm & Garden Farm Stand on 15th Avenue and Meadow Court, which will eventually accept all forms of currency, including WIC/SNAP payments.
Additionally, the BCFG will supply Angelic Organics Learning Center’s Roots & Wings Youth Leader’s 10-week Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, a produce subscription service open to the Rockford public. Surplus produce will be donated to a local food pantry.
These types of urban agricultural initiatives not only offer much-needed fresh food to the community, but also serve to reconnect people to each other and the land and revitalize neighborhoods.
For more about the farm stand and Youth Leader’s CSA, contact Market Manager Tedd Snowden at (815) 963-2131 or email@example.com.
Posted July 24, 2013