- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Literary Hook: Poem celebrates the ritual of a summer trip
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Perhaps you have a favorite trip that has become a summer ritual for you. This poems celebrates such a trip. Tillamook is a true cowboy town in Oregon, just before you get to the ocean. There’s something about the trip from Portland to Tillamook that I find both soothing and exciting.
Again, on the Road to Tillamook
Heading west from Portland to Tillamook,
rain on the windshield,
the wipers syncopating
like the radio’s jazz, your fingers
tapping the steering wheel,
and suddenly I’m whistling a riff,
rolling down the windows,
catching a cool spray
against my shoulder,
think of a question to steer us
through the mountains,
deciding on no talk: just jazz,
soybean fields rolling by,
blue mountain’s rim of sun,
slash of amber cloud,
hint of moon. Then,
we’re really in the thick of it:
the silence of elk.
We’re blinking past Lee’s Camp Store,
where the radio gives up the ghost.
All stillness and the Pacific’s tug.
We have mastered this: driving
where even jazz can’t follow
to the other side, a pasture of cows,
rich odor of Tillamook.
Just ahead, where we can go
no further: the sea, the sea.
First published by Poetswest, then in Who Walks Among the Trees with Charity.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the July 24-30, 2013, issue