- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Literary Hook: Poem celebrates the ritual of a summer trip
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Perhaps you have a favorite trip that has become a summer ritual for you. This poems celebrates such a trip. Tillamook is a true cowboy town in Oregon, just before you get to the ocean. There’s something about the trip from Portland to Tillamook that I find both soothing and exciting.
Again, on the Road to Tillamook
Heading west from Portland to Tillamook,
rain on the windshield,
the wipers syncopating
like the radio’s jazz, your fingers
tapping the steering wheel,
and suddenly I’m whistling a riff,
rolling down the windows,
catching a cool spray
against my shoulder,
think of a question to steer us
through the mountains,
deciding on no talk: just jazz,
soybean fields rolling by,
blue mountain’s rim of sun,
slash of amber cloud,
hint of moon. Then,
we’re really in the thick of it:
the silence of elk.
We’re blinking past Lee’s Camp Store,
where the radio gives up the ghost.
All stillness and the Pacific’s tug.
We have mastered this: driving
where even jazz can’t follow
to the other side, a pasture of cows,
rich odor of Tillamook.
Just ahead, where we can go
no further: the sea, the sea.
First published by Poetswest, then in Who Walks Among the Trees with Charity.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
From the July 24-30, 2013, issue