- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
Mike Mangione & The Union at Kryptonite July 31
Online Staff Report
Mike Mangione & The Union, a Chicago/Milwaukee touring group that combines a folk-rock sound with an orchestrated string section, soulful vocals and literate sensibility, will be at Kryptonite, 308 W. State St., Wednesday, July 31. The band takes the stage at 9 p.m. Also playing that night is Dave Tamkin.
Mike Mangione & The Union’s debut album, Tenebrae, received favorable press from all corners of the country, including the honor of being an All Music Guide Album Pick, while Blurt refers to their “tearstained folk, Memphis-styled gospel and bluesy-flavored pop” as “luminous.”
In 2011, the group released Offering on their own imprint, RODZINKA Records, with sync and digital licensing by DUALTONE Records. The album and band were nominated for “Best of the Year” by Milwaukee music institution RadioMilwaukee (88.9 FM), along with receiving other kind and warm accolades from a variety of outlets.
More recently, in November 2012, RadioMilwaukee nominated the band for “Best of” awards for the second year in a row. Sept. 3, 2013, they will release their latest work, Red-Winged Blackbird Man, produced by the venerable Bo Ramsey, Grammy-nominated producer and guitarist (Lucinda Williams, Greg Brown, Pieta Brown, Joan Baez and Iris Dement).
For more details, contact Kryptonite at (815) 965-0931 or visit kryptonitebar.com.
Posted July 24, 2013