- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Mike Mangione & The Union at Kryptonite July 31
Online Staff Report
Mike Mangione & The Union, a Chicago/Milwaukee touring group that combines a folk-rock sound with an orchestrated string section, soulful vocals and literate sensibility, will be at Kryptonite, 308 W. State St., Wednesday, July 31. The band takes the stage at 9 p.m. Also playing that night is Dave Tamkin.
Mike Mangione & The Union’s debut album, Tenebrae, received favorable press from all corners of the country, including the honor of being an All Music Guide Album Pick, while Blurt refers to their “tearstained folk, Memphis-styled gospel and bluesy-flavored pop” as “luminous.”
In 2011, the group released Offering on their own imprint, RODZINKA Records, with sync and digital licensing by DUALTONE Records. The album and band were nominated for “Best of the Year” by Milwaukee music institution RadioMilwaukee (88.9 FM), along with receiving other kind and warm accolades from a variety of outlets.
More recently, in November 2012, RadioMilwaukee nominated the band for “Best of” awards for the second year in a row. Sept. 3, 2013, they will release their latest work, Red-Winged Blackbird Man, produced by the venerable Bo Ramsey, Grammy-nominated producer and guitarist (Lucinda Williams, Greg Brown, Pieta Brown, Joan Baez and Iris Dement).
For more details, contact Kryptonite at (815) 965-0931 or visit kryptonitebar.com.
Posted July 24, 2013