- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Ducks on sale for fifth annual Great Duck Race
Online Staff Report
DIXON, Ill. — Buy your lucky rubber ducks today for the fifth annual Alzheimer’s Association Great Duck Race on the Rock River. Depending on your squeaky pals’ speed, you could win up to $1,000 cash. All proceeds benefit the Alzheimer’s Association’s Rock River Area Office and the programs and services it provides the community.
The Great Duck Race will be at 10 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 10, at Heritage Crossing Riverfront Plaza in Dixon, Ill. The ducks float from Galena Bridge to Peoria Bridge in Dixon.
The owner of the first-place duck wins $1,000. Second place wins $250 and third place nets $100. But should your duck be a bit slow out of the starting gate, don’t fret: The last place “Lazy Duck” earns $50.
Ticket prices are a pair of ducks for $5; a family of 12 for $25; or a flock of 50 for $100.
The ducks are available for purchase at the following Dixon locations:
• The Alzheimer’s Association’s Rock River Area Office, 93 S. Hennepin Ave., Dixon, Ill.;
• Heartland Realty, 1254 N. Galena Ave., Dixon, Ill.;
• Dixon Ford Lincoln Volkswagen Mazda, 489 Illinois Route 2, Dixon, Ill.; and
• Napa Auto Parts, 713 N Galena Ave., Dixon, Ill.
Ducks may also be purchased by calling toll-free at (800) 272-3900.
In case of inclement weather, the drawing will be at the Rock River Area Office.
Alzheimer’s disease is the nation’s sixth-leading cause of death. Funds raised through ticket sales benefit the care and support of the Alzheimer’s Association Rock River Branch, which provides services to residents in Lee, Whiteside and Ogle counties.
The Central Illinois Chapter offers programs and support services to help improve the quality of life of area residents dealing with Alzheimer’s disease. Its mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected, and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Visit www.alz.org/illinoiscentral or call (800) 272-3900 for more information.
From the July 31-Aug. 6, 2013, issue