- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Klehm Arboretum hosts Bonsai Society exhibit, class Aug. 10
• Bonsai trees to be displayed in the Visitors Center
Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden, 2715 S. Main St., Rockford, will host a Bonsai Society exhibit and class Saturday, Aug. 10. Exhibit runs 10 a.m.-3 p.m., and class is at 1 p.m. Admission is free to members and $5 for the public.
Learn the history and philosophy of this elegant horticultural technique. Bill Horschke, president of the Rock River Bonsai Society, will discuss the science of bonsai and explain how it includes more than the small trees usually associated with the technique. In addition to the class, the Bonsai Society will have an exhibit of bonsai trees displayed in the Visitors Center, along with information about the art of bonsai and their club. The exhibit is included in admission to Klehm grounds.
For more details, visit klehm.org or call (815) 965-8146.
From the July 31-Aug. 6, 2013, issue