- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Park District recognizes Latino outreach assistance
At the June 25 Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners meeting, two members of Rockford’s Latino community, Rudy Valdez and Ricardo Oceguera, were introduced by Youth Sports Manager Lamont Jones and recognized for their assistance in the Park District’s outreach efforts for the annual Rockford Football Training Camp for youth held May 18.
In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Park District’s flag football program, Chicago Bears players Roberto Garza and Lance Briggs were the special guests at the youth training camp. With the opportunity to bring Garza to Rockford, staff reached out to friends from the Coalition of Latino Leaders to enhance the Park District’s connection with Latino youth and families, and received valuable assistance and support from Valdez and Oceguera.
Valdez continues to advocate and communicate the value of parks and recreation to local Latino families. Most recently, Valdez secured an anonymous donation that funded participation for 30 Latino youth to attend the Rockford Park District’s Rockford Football Training Camp.
Oceguera is owner of El Sol de Rockford, a local weekly Hispanic newspaper. He consistently features stories to educate and inform the Latino community about recreation and leisure opportunities. In support of the Rockford Football Training Camp, Oceguera ran several stories about the camp, and encouraged participation in other Park District programs this summer.
From the July 31-Aug. 6, 2013, issue