- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Park District recognizes Latino outreach assistance
At the June 25 Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners meeting, two members of Rockford’s Latino community, Rudy Valdez and Ricardo Oceguera, were introduced by Youth Sports Manager Lamont Jones and recognized for their assistance in the Park District’s outreach efforts for the annual Rockford Football Training Camp for youth held May 18.
In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Park District’s flag football program, Chicago Bears players Roberto Garza and Lance Briggs were the special guests at the youth training camp. With the opportunity to bring Garza to Rockford, staff reached out to friends from the Coalition of Latino Leaders to enhance the Park District’s connection with Latino youth and families, and received valuable assistance and support from Valdez and Oceguera.
Valdez continues to advocate and communicate the value of parks and recreation to local Latino families. Most recently, Valdez secured an anonymous donation that funded participation for 30 Latino youth to attend the Rockford Park District’s Rockford Football Training Camp.
Oceguera is owner of El Sol de Rockford, a local weekly Hispanic newspaper. He consistently features stories to educate and inform the Latino community about recreation and leisure opportunities. In support of the Rockford Football Training Camp, Oceguera ran several stories about the camp, and encouraged participation in other Park District programs this summer.
From the July 31-Aug. 6, 2013, issue