- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Street art event Aug. 3 along bike path in front of The Symbol
• Hip Hop Congress presents free event featuring live art, music, food and vendors
Hip Hop Congress of Rockford will present the inaugural The Writers Blok 2013, a free outdoors street art event, from noon to 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 3, on the grounds of Sinnissippi Park (along the bike path) right in front of The Symbol.
The event hopes to expand the reach of street art in Rockford by inspiring and educating the community about what street art really is in a positive light.
The Writers Blok 2013 will feature 20 street artists who will be painting on saran-wrapped walls, where the audience will be able to watch the craft of a blank canvas transform into a completed street art masterpiece.
Street art is a huge element of hip hop, and the event is bound to draw some attention from the city for its creativity and the ability of this creativity to bring together the community.
DJs will be attending to provide the crowds with music for all ages, and food vendors will be on site to provide snacks and drinks while attendees mingle and take part in the formation of this astounding street art. Clothing vendors will also be making shirts available for purchase. Limited quantities will be available.
For more information, visit http://rockfordhhc.org/twb2013.
There will be no parking at the Nicholas Conservatory. The trolley will be available to pick up and drop off attendees to and from the event.
The Hip Hop Congress is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. The Hip Hop Congress provides the hip hop generation and the post-hip hop generation with the tools, resources and opportunities to make social, economic and political change on a local, regional and national level. Hip Hop Congress is the product of a merger of artists and students, music and community.
From the July 31-Aug. 6, 2013, issue