- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Christine Swanberg to deliver poetry concert Aug. 9 at JustGoods
Online Staff Report
At 7 p.m., Friday, Aug. 9, Rockford native Christine Swanberg (who writes the “Literary Hook” column for The Rock River Times) will present an evening of poetry at JustGoods Listening Room, 201 Seventh St., Rockford.
Swanberg is the author of nine books, and her poems have been featured in many national anthologies and journals. A nationally celebrated poet, she has received numerous awards, such as The Midwest Poetry Review’s first prize, the Mayor’s Art Award: The Lawrence Gloyd Award for Community impact, and a merit scholarship to the Vermont Writing Program in Montpelier, Vt.
Swanberg has studied with poetry luminaries such as Robert Bly and Lucien Stryk. Her Aug. 9 concert of poetry will feature readings from a variety of her work, which spans three decades. Her live poetry readings are vivid and engaging, adding an audio dimension to her masterful writing. The program is open to the public.
Free gourmet delights from Kate’s Pie Shop will be offered during intermission. There is no admission charge, although voluntary contributions are welcome. Seating is limited.
Posted Aug. 7, 2013