- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Christine Swanberg to deliver poetry concert Aug. 9 at JustGoods
Online Staff Report
At 7 p.m., Friday, Aug. 9, Rockford native Christine Swanberg (who writes the “Literary Hook” column for The Rock River Times) will present an evening of poetry at JustGoods Listening Room, 201 Seventh St., Rockford.
Swanberg is the author of nine books, and her poems have been featured in many national anthologies and journals. A nationally celebrated poet, she has received numerous awards, such as The Midwest Poetry Review’s first prize, the Mayor’s Art Award: The Lawrence Gloyd Award for Community impact, and a merit scholarship to the Vermont Writing Program in Montpelier, Vt.
Swanberg has studied with poetry luminaries such as Robert Bly and Lucien Stryk. Her Aug. 9 concert of poetry will feature readings from a variety of her work, which spans three decades. Her live poetry readings are vivid and engaging, adding an audio dimension to her masterful writing. The program is open to the public.
Free gourmet delights from Kate’s Pie Shop will be offered during intermission. There is no admission charge, although voluntary contributions are welcome. Seating is limited.
Posted Aug. 7, 2013