- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Open letter to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy
Editor’s note: The following was written as an open letter to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy in Rockford.
Your school’s motto is “To Jesus through Mary, we aim to form saints and leaders rooted in the immutable truths of the Catholic faith.” Yet, you advertise on Rush Limbaugh, a program whose host uses the word “nigga,” calls women sluts, says African-Americans are regressed and says “Mexicans are so lazy and fat they should be easy to spot sneaking across the border.” As a practicing Catholic, I am shocked that you would allow your school’s name to be heard on a program that is the exact opposite of your motto and the tenets of my faith. Do you not believe in respect for the cultural, ethnic, racial and economic diversity of all? Or have you forgotten the teachings of Jesus: “Verily I say unto you, since you have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me”? By advertising on Limbaugh, you have “done unto Him.” You should practice what you preach and discontinue advertising on a program that promotes such hate and bigotry.
From the Aug. 7-13, 2013, issue