- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Open letter to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy
Editor’s note: The following was written as an open letter to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy in Rockford.
Your school’s motto is “To Jesus through Mary, we aim to form saints and leaders rooted in the immutable truths of the Catholic faith.” Yet, you advertise on Rush Limbaugh, a program whose host uses the word “nigga,” calls women sluts, says African-Americans are regressed and says “Mexicans are so lazy and fat they should be easy to spot sneaking across the border.” As a practicing Catholic, I am shocked that you would allow your school’s name to be heard on a program that is the exact opposite of your motto and the tenets of my faith. Do you not believe in respect for the cultural, ethnic, racial and economic diversity of all? Or have you forgotten the teachings of Jesus: “Verily I say unto you, since you have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, you have done it unto me”? By advertising on Limbaugh, you have “done unto Him.” You should practice what you preach and discontinue advertising on a program that promotes such hate and bigotry.
From the Aug. 7-13, 2013, issue