- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Free adult pickleball session Aug. 17
Rockford Park District staff and volunteers invite adults ages 18 and older to join in a free instructional drop-in session for the sport of pickleball at “Saturdays in the Park” at Andrews Park, 850 N. Central Ave., Rockford, from noon until 2 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 17.
Pickleball is a paddle game played using a special perforated ball similar to a wiffle ball, and a tennis-type net on a badminton-sized court. The paddle is similar to a table tennis paddle, but much larger. Pickleball participation is growing across the nation and within the greater Rockford metro area. The sport is enjoyed in both singles and doubles formats, by people of all ages, and is especially attractive to those who enjoy tennis, but want to cover less court.
Learn more about pickleball at www.northernillinoispickleball.com, in the adult section of the Rockford Park District Spring/Summer 2013 Program Guide online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/guides, at Park District offices, or by calling (815) 987-8800.
From the Aug. 14-20, 2013, issue