- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
More Bears or Packers fans in the area?
By Doug Halberstadt
One week of the 2013 NFL preseason is in the books. The Bears lost their first game 24-17 on the road to the Carolina Panthers. They play game No. 2 tomorrow night (Thursday, Aug. 15) in front of a national television audience. ESPN will broadcast the game between the Bears and Chargers from Soldier Field in Chicago. Game time is 7 p.m.
Even though we are still three weeks away from the start of the regular season, the chatter on social media has already hit mid-season form. The barbs being tossed back and forth between the local Bears and Packers fans are at a fever pitch. Several people, including myself, have changed their profile pictures on Facebook to reflect their team of choice. There are Bears and Packers logos of all shapes and sizes on the popular social networking site.
I have a cousin who is as big of a Packers fan as I am a Bears fan. I saw a statement he made on his page that this area was fairly equally divided between Chicago and Green Bay fans. Then, a little later, I read where he posted there were probably more Green Bay fans when push came to shove.
I realize there’s no real scientific way to settle this argument. I’d like to throw a little fuel on the fire, though. I say there are significantly more Bears fans in our area than there are Packer-backers. I’d like to offer this column as a measuring stick. If you’ve read this far, please take the time to send a one-word response to my e-mail. Simply send the word Bears or Packers to Dougster61@aol.com, and I will keep track between now and the end of the preseason. Please feel free to share this column with your fellow Bears or Packers fans and have them vote as well.
Help me prove my cousin wrong on this one. I’ll be eagerly awaiting your responses.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Aug. 14-20, 2013, issue