- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Schilling likely to resort to old tricks
In 2010, the conservative U.S. Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision made it legal for corporations and individuals to give anonymous, unlimited amounts of money to political campaigns. This opened the doors for Tea Party candidates like Bobby Schilling to receive boatloads of money from the likes of the Koch brothers and the ultra-right-wing Citizens United Political Victory Fund. This will enable Schilling to potentially outspend Cheri Bustos on a large scale, and to spread political untruths the likes of which were seen in that expensive, phony “newspaper” he circulated right before the 2012 election. It backfired on him, and those of us who saw through it were relieved that Bustos’s integrity triumphed over Schilling’s (big money’s) lies.
I’ve heard he’s again counting on big money, along with the 2014 off-year election’s lower voter turnout, to take the seat back. To all the working people, small business owners, students, poor people, seniors and people of color in the 17th Congressional District: Let’s prove him wrong again! Cheri Bustos is doing a great job looking out for us.
From the Aug. 14-20, 2013, issue