- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
WWE superstar Goldust headlines Aug. 17 bash at Aviators Stadium
Promoters of Old School Professional Wrestling and Vallay Enterprises are teaming up for a return to the newly christened Rockford Aviators Baseball Stadium Saturday, Aug. 17. It is being billed as a major summer bash event, and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Rockford 2013 Youth Legacy Foundation.
The promoters have signed former WWE superstar Goldust for a special exhibition match that night.
“He is the son of the legendary ‘American Dream’ Dusty Rhodes and brother of current WWE superstar Cody Rhodes,” said Tomas Reinl. “He has established himself as a top performer in the wrestling business through his unique in-ring abilities and years of hard work.”
The main event for the evening will feature a good, old-fashioned steel-cage match pitting the son of wrestling legend Harley Race, current WLW heavyweight champion Leland Race, against Mr. Rudy Vallay. Vallay, a local resident of the area, competed at last year’s event and proved victorious. Will he be able to do it again?
Aug. 17 will see the return of the 7-foot-tall giant, The Minnesota Nightmare, as he competes in a MEGA 10-Man Tag Team match that will feature two teams of five with a total combined weight of nearly 2 tons.
Also signed, is a WLW ladies title match and a classic 20-man battle royal.
Those who purchase front-row and ringside tickets will have access to a meet-and-greet with the wrestlers beforehand at 5:30 p.m. Goldust will also be available for photos and autographs at an extra cost. Tickets start at $6 and range up to $30 for front-row seating.
Tickets are on sale and can be purchased by calling (815) 885-2255. Information is available at the Rockford Aviators box office or by visiting www.rockfordaviators.com/stadium/events/?date=2013-8-17.
From the Aug. 14-20, 2013, issue