- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
A unique restoration, and Bears leading Packers in fan vote
By Doug Halberstadt
Last week, I wrote a column about the number of Chicago Bears fans compared to the number of Green Bay fans living in and around the Rockford area. I asked respondents to simply send me a one-word e-mail, Bears or Packers.
Thankfully, Scott Clevenger didn’t follow my request. In addition to the word “Bears,” he sent along a picture of a project he’s been working on since he bought it in 2001. It’s a 1939 four-door Master Sports Sedan that he’s lovingly and painstakingly turned into a pretty cool Chicago Bears-themed, fully drivable automobile.
Scott, along with his brother Noel and their dad Larry, have done a total restoration on the vehicle. Including mechanics and cosmetics, the project has taken up a significant portion of time and money over the last 12 years. “I’ve worked on it on and off for probably a total of seven years and have somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 into it,” proclaimed the proud owner.
The funny thing about Scott’s project is, it was inspired by a rival Packers fan. “There’s a guy in town named George Johnson who has a early 1940’s Ford that he has painted up in a Green Bay Cab Company theme,” Scott said. “I wanted to do something to compete with him.”
Scott says he plans on driving the car all over the area the remainder of the summer and into the fall. So, look for it on a road near you or at one of the upcoming local car shows.
For those of you who might be wondering how the voting is going so far, as of Sunday night (Aug. 18) at 5 p.m., the vote totals are Chicago 13 and Green Bay 9. I will keep taking e-mails through the rest of the NFL preseason.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Aug. 21-27, 2013, issue