- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
A unique restoration, and Bears leading Packers in fan vote
By Doug Halberstadt
Last week, I wrote a column about the number of Chicago Bears fans compared to the number of Green Bay fans living in and around the Rockford area. I asked respondents to simply send me a one-word e-mail, Bears or Packers.
Thankfully, Scott Clevenger didn’t follow my request. In addition to the word “Bears,” he sent along a picture of a project he’s been working on since he bought it in 2001. It’s a 1939 four-door Master Sports Sedan that he’s lovingly and painstakingly turned into a pretty cool Chicago Bears-themed, fully drivable automobile.
Scott, along with his brother Noel and their dad Larry, have done a total restoration on the vehicle. Including mechanics and cosmetics, the project has taken up a significant portion of time and money over the last 12 years. “I’ve worked on it on and off for probably a total of seven years and have somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 into it,” proclaimed the proud owner.
The funny thing about Scott’s project is, it was inspired by a rival Packers fan. “There’s a guy in town named George Johnson who has a early 1940’s Ford that he has painted up in a Green Bay Cab Company theme,” Scott said. “I wanted to do something to compete with him.”
Scott says he plans on driving the car all over the area the remainder of the summer and into the fall. So, look for it on a road near you or at one of the upcoming local car shows.
For those of you who might be wondering how the voting is going so far, as of Sunday night (Aug. 18) at 5 p.m., the vote totals are Chicago 13 and Green Bay 9. I will keep taking e-mails through the rest of the NFL preseason.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Aug. 21-27, 2013, issue