- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
Stone Bridge Marathon set for Oct. 12; $200 award offered to record-setters
ROSCOE, Ill. — New to the Stone Bridge Trail Marathon is a $200 cash award to any runner who sets a new marathon course record.
Set in 2012, the male course record is owned by Brett Addington with 2 hours, 48 minutes and 56 seconds, while the female record-holder is Isabel Polsky with a time of 3:08:01. This year’s race will be at 7 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 12.
This will be the fourth year for the only local fall marathon that raises money for local participating YMCA Strong Kids funds. Two 5-kilometer run/walks are also offered during the weekend — one in Belvidere, Ill., and the other in Roscoe. Since its inception, the three races have raised more than $22,000 for Strong Kids programs.
The USATF marathon course is certified as a Boston Marathon qualifier. The course has limited hills and a plethora of spectator viewing opportunities for family and friends to cheer on the runners. The starting line can be found at the Belvidere YMCA. The athletes run along country roads to the Stone Bridge Trail path. It ends 26.2 miles later in Leland Park in Roscoe.
The Stone Bridge Trail is open year-round for training. Runners can practice their marathon plan all summer in their own back yard. The friendly confines of the trail provide great protection from the elements.
The marathon will begin at the Belvidere Family YMCA. Registration for the marathon is $80 through Oct. 4. The entry fee increases to $90 Oct. 6. The registration fee for each 5K run is $25 through Oct. 5, then increases to $30.
For more information, visit www.ymcastonebridgemarathon.org or call Marianne Eshleman at (815) 623-5858 at the Stateline Family YMCA in Roscoe.
From the Aug. 21-27, 2013, issue