- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
95th Greek Fest set for Sept. 6-8 in downtown Rockford
By Anne Panos
Special to The Rock River Times
It’s all about the food … and entertainment at this year’s Rockford Greek Fest, Sept. 6-8 at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church at Fifth and State, downtown.
Celebrating 95 years this summer, the festival has expanded. Come and enjoy the best authentic Greek food, such as souvlakia (shish-kabob), pastitso (baked layers of pasta, ground beef and bechamel sauce), gyros, spinach-feta phyllo pies, loukaniko (Greek sausage), Greek salad and “hot dogs.”
Beverages at the Taverna include Greek wine, beers, ouzo, as well as sodas. Enjoy frappes and loukoumades (hot honey puffs), and homemade favorites like baklava, diples, assorted cookies as well as baklava ice cream sundaes.
Enjoy shopping at the Agora(marketplace) offering Grecian jewlery, clothing, art gifts, CDs and other imported items.
This year, there will be a face-painter and balloon artist among the kids’ activities. Guests can listen to the live Greek music and watch the Akrites Dance troupe perform.
New Friday, Sept. 6 — American Night, featuring on stage Men of Our Times, 7-10 p.m.
Church tours will be offered Saturday and Sunday. Raffle tickets can be purchased at the festival for cash prizes.
Best of all, admission is free! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Rock River Valley Food Pantry and the Alexander Scholarship fund. Website: gogreekfest.com. Call (815) 975-4727 for more details.
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue