- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
95th Greek Fest set for Sept. 6-8 in downtown Rockford
By Anne Panos
Special to The Rock River Times
It’s all about the food … and entertainment at this year’s Rockford Greek Fest, Sept. 6-8 at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church at Fifth and State, downtown.
Celebrating 95 years this summer, the festival has expanded. Come and enjoy the best authentic Greek food, such as souvlakia (shish-kabob), pastitso (baked layers of pasta, ground beef and bechamel sauce), gyros, spinach-feta phyllo pies, loukaniko (Greek sausage), Greek salad and “hot dogs.”
Beverages at the Taverna include Greek wine, beers, ouzo, as well as sodas. Enjoy frappes and loukoumades (hot honey puffs), and homemade favorites like baklava, diples, assorted cookies as well as baklava ice cream sundaes.
Enjoy shopping at the Agora(marketplace) offering Grecian jewlery, clothing, art gifts, CDs and other imported items.
This year, there will be a face-painter and balloon artist among the kids’ activities. Guests can listen to the live Greek music and watch the Akrites Dance troupe perform.
New Friday, Sept. 6 — American Night, featuring on stage Men of Our Times, 7-10 p.m.
Church tours will be offered Saturday and Sunday. Raffle tickets can be purchased at the festival for cash prizes.
Best of all, admission is free! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Rock River Valley Food Pantry and the Alexander Scholarship fund. Website: gogreekfest.com. Call (815) 975-4727 for more details.
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue