- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
95th Greek Fest set for Sept. 6-8 in downtown Rockford
By Anne Panos
Special to The Rock River Times
It’s all about the food … and entertainment at this year’s Rockford Greek Fest, Sept. 6-8 at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church at Fifth and State, downtown.
Celebrating 95 years this summer, the festival has expanded. Come and enjoy the best authentic Greek food, such as souvlakia (shish-kabob), pastitso (baked layers of pasta, ground beef and bechamel sauce), gyros, spinach-feta phyllo pies, loukaniko (Greek sausage), Greek salad and “hot dogs.”
Beverages at the Taverna include Greek wine, beers, ouzo, as well as sodas. Enjoy frappes and loukoumades (hot honey puffs), and homemade favorites like baklava, diples, assorted cookies as well as baklava ice cream sundaes.
Enjoy shopping at the Agora(marketplace) offering Grecian jewlery, clothing, art gifts, CDs and other imported items.
This year, there will be a face-painter and balloon artist among the kids’ activities. Guests can listen to the live Greek music and watch the Akrites Dance troupe perform.
New Friday, Sept. 6 — American Night, featuring on stage Men of Our Times, 7-10 p.m.
Church tours will be offered Saturday and Sunday. Raffle tickets can be purchased at the festival for cash prizes.
Best of all, admission is free! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Rock River Valley Food Pantry and the Alexander Scholarship fund. Website: gogreekfest.com. Call (815) 975-4727 for more details.
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue