- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
95th Greek Fest set for Sept. 6-8 in downtown Rockford
By Anne Panos
Special to The Rock River Times
It’s all about the food … and entertainment at this year’s Rockford Greek Fest, Sept. 6-8 at Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church at Fifth and State, downtown.
Celebrating 95 years this summer, the festival has expanded. Come and enjoy the best authentic Greek food, such as souvlakia (shish-kabob), pastitso (baked layers of pasta, ground beef and bechamel sauce), gyros, spinach-feta phyllo pies, loukaniko (Greek sausage), Greek salad and “hot dogs.”
Beverages at the Taverna include Greek wine, beers, ouzo, as well as sodas. Enjoy frappes and loukoumades (hot honey puffs), and homemade favorites like baklava, diples, assorted cookies as well as baklava ice cream sundaes.
Enjoy shopping at the Agora(marketplace) offering Grecian jewlery, clothing, art gifts, CDs and other imported items.
This year, there will be a face-painter and balloon artist among the kids’ activities. Guests can listen to the live Greek music and watch the Akrites Dance troupe perform.
New Friday, Sept. 6 — American Night, featuring on stage Men of Our Times, 7-10 p.m.
Church tours will be offered Saturday and Sunday. Raffle tickets can be purchased at the festival for cash prizes.
Best of all, admission is free! A portion of the proceeds will go to the Rock River Valley Food Pantry and the Alexander Scholarship fund. Website: gogreekfest.com. Call (815) 975-4727 for more details.
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue