- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Bears fans edge Packers fans in poll
By Doug Halberstadt
It’s time to reveal the results to my highly unscientific poll that I started in this column a few weeks ago. I wanted to find out whether there are more Chicago Bears fans or Green Bay Packers fans living in this area. I asked readers of this column to simply send a one-word response to my e-mail address, “Bears” or “Packers.”
Before I share the results, I simply want to say “THANK YOU” to everyone who takes the time to read my columns, regardless of what team you’re a fan of. The historical Bears vs. Packers rivalry is one of the greatest in all of sports. It continues to spark discussions and generate interest in the games year after year. That’s what really makes it fun!
I have no way of knowing if anyone voted multiple times, and I suspect a certain Packers fan did. I got three e-mails — one right after another — that were from Baron Von Raschke, James T. Kirk and then what I assume was his legitimate e-mail, all voting for Green Bay. I’m pretty sure the former professional wrestler and the captain of the Starship USS Enterprise aren’t truly Packers fans. I counted them anyway, just in case.
The final totals were 17 e-mails for Chicago and 15 for Green Bay. I didn’t vote, and I know my cousin, who is a Green Bay fan and the inspiration for the original column, didn’t send me an e-mail. So, even if we count my vote for Chicago and his for the Pack, the two-vote margin remains the same.
It’s not a real surprise that despite how unreliable and unscientific a random reader survey such as this is that the total votes were so close. It’s not a huge secret that there are an awful lot of very loyal Bears and Packers fans calling the northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin area home.
So, whether you’re wearing orange and navy or green and gold this fall, welcome back to another exciting season of professional football. I say “GO BEARS!” and I know an almost equal number of you say “GO PACK!”
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue