- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Bears fans edge Packers fans in poll
By Doug Halberstadt
It’s time to reveal the results to my highly unscientific poll that I started in this column a few weeks ago. I wanted to find out whether there are more Chicago Bears fans or Green Bay Packers fans living in this area. I asked readers of this column to simply send a one-word response to my e-mail address, “Bears” or “Packers.”
Before I share the results, I simply want to say “THANK YOU” to everyone who takes the time to read my columns, regardless of what team you’re a fan of. The historical Bears vs. Packers rivalry is one of the greatest in all of sports. It continues to spark discussions and generate interest in the games year after year. That’s what really makes it fun!
I have no way of knowing if anyone voted multiple times, and I suspect a certain Packers fan did. I got three e-mails — one right after another — that were from Baron Von Raschke, James T. Kirk and then what I assume was his legitimate e-mail, all voting for Green Bay. I’m pretty sure the former professional wrestler and the captain of the Starship USS Enterprise aren’t truly Packers fans. I counted them anyway, just in case.
The final totals were 17 e-mails for Chicago and 15 for Green Bay. I didn’t vote, and I know my cousin, who is a Green Bay fan and the inspiration for the original column, didn’t send me an e-mail. So, even if we count my vote for Chicago and his for the Pack, the two-vote margin remains the same.
It’s not a real surprise that despite how unreliable and unscientific a random reader survey such as this is that the total votes were so close. It’s not a huge secret that there are an awful lot of very loyal Bears and Packers fans calling the northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin area home.
So, whether you’re wearing orange and navy or green and gold this fall, welcome back to another exciting season of professional football. I say “GO BEARS!” and I know an almost equal number of you say “GO PACK!”
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue