- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
- Through the brewing class
- AFSCME: Governor trying to force work stoppage
- What’s to negotiate? Illinois GOP, Dems can’t agree on topic
- Windows users rejoice: Windows 10 fixes what ails you!
- An easy fix to the Cubs scoring woes
- Trump ripped on floor of state House
- Striving to preserve biodiversity
- Happy hour (not so) special
Blood, platelet donors needed following the holiday weekend
Following the three-day Labor Day weekend, the Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) is asking healthy, eligible donors to make appointments to donate blood and platelets to replenish the blood supply.
Three-day holiday weekends typically see an increase in usage at area hospitals as well as a dip in collections because the blood center is closed on Labor Day. Blood donors with types O-, A- and B- are most needed. Eligible platelet donors are especially important because of the short five-day shelf life of those lifesaving products.
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
Four community donor centers are available throughout the area (Belvidere, Freeport and Rockford), as well as many mobile blood drives. Log on to www.rrvbc.org for hours, directions and mobile blood drive schedules.
The RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center and is the sole provider of blood products and services to Beloit Health Systems, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more information or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
From the Sept. 4-10, 2013, issue