- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Huskies look to start season 2-0
By Doug Halberstadt
After knocking off the Iowa Hawkeyes 30-27 in Iowa City in their season-opener Aug. 31, the Northern Illinois Huskies had last weekend off. They used the extra time to prepare for their next road trip.
The Huskies will load up all of their gear and head for Moscow this Saturday (Sept. 14). That’s Moscow, Idaho, not the capital of Russia. They’ll look to improve to 2-0 when they take on the Vandals in a 4 p.m. Central time start.
Idaho has started the 2013 season with two consecutive road losses. They opened the season in Denton, Texas, and dropped that game to the University of North Texas 40-6. Last weekend, the Vandals were on the short end of things again. This time, they lost to the University of Wyoming Cowboys 42-10 in Laramie.
The Huskies are led by senior quarterback Jordan Lynch. Last season, Lynch was 12-2 as a starter. During the 2012 season, he set 14 NIU records, two MAC records and four NCAA records. He was voted the MAC Offensive Player of the Year. He finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting with 52 points.
In the 2013 opener against Iowa, Lynch finished with three touchdown passes and 275 total yards passing. He also rushed for 56 yards on 22 carries. Receivers Tommylee Lewis and Da’Ron Brown combined for 12 of Lynch’s 25 completions in the Iowa game. Brown had seven and Lewis had five. Brown had one touchdown and Lewis caught two passes for touchdowns.
NIU will play their first home game in DeKalb Saturday night, Sept. 21. They take on the Eastern Illinois Panthers. Starting time for the home opener is 6 p.m. This is the first of only five home games for the Huskies this season. Tickets are available by calling the NIU ticket office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday, at (815) 752-6800.
From the Sept. 11-17, 2013, issue